"I believe in disseminating the truth."
— Eugene Robinson speaks the truth on the situation in Ukraine and Russia in regards to the States’ statements
Jailbreaks in Iraq. A surge in Syria. The terrorist group’s influence is on the rise, says Bruce Riedel.
Huh. I wasn’t aware that Al Qaida disappeared for a bit? They’ve always been there. Al Qaida never left, they’re rather showing a resurgence.
From a personal post on shortformblog:
A Syrian comments on human rights issues as United Nations Security general Ban ki-Moon said that more than 100,000 have been killed in the ongoing Syria conflict today. Will the “100,000” number do anything? Who knows—past numbers haven’t in Syria’s case.
"We reject and condemn the transfer of weapons through our airspace and we will inform the Iranian side of that formally. But we do not have the ability to stop it," he told pan-Arab daily Asharq al-Awsat.
Iran is the main ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is fighting mostly Sunni rebels in a civil war in which more the opposition say more than 100,000 people have been killed.
"If you imagine these flights breach United Nations Security Council resolutions banning weapons imports and exports from Iran… I invite you in the name of the government to help us stop these flights across Iraqi airspace," he said.
Iraq is dominated by Shi’ite Muslim parties with close ties to Tehran, but Zebari said his country was committed to neutrality in Syria. Two years of fighting there risks further destabilizing an already fragile Iraq as Shi’ite and Sunni fighters cross the long border between the two states.
The number of Guantánamo Bay inmates on hunger strike has begun to fall, with most having consumed at least one meal over a 24-hour period, the US military suggested in comments that met with suspicion from detainee advocates. As of Saturday, 96 prisoners were still classified as hunger strikers – down six from Friday and below a recent high of 106.
In a further apparent indication that the five-month-long action may be ebbing, an army spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Sam House, said on Friday that over a 24-hour period 99 of the then 102 detainees taking part on the strike had eaten a meal. Forty-five, however, remain on the force-feed list and lawyers for some of those taking part in the strike suggested that authorities had consistently under-counted the true number of those refusing meals.
Guards at Guantánamo require several days of sustained eating of minimal caloric intake before prisoners are taken off the list of hunger-strikers. Those subjected to enteral feeding are put on a controlled re-introduction of regular meals to avert “re-feeding syndrome”, which can affect people who suddenly resume eating.
It was not made immediately clear on Saturday if the apparent drop in numbers represented early signs of the protest being on the wane, or if prisoners were taking a pause, possibly coinciding with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
A Guantánamo Bay spokesman, navy Captain Robert Durand, confirmed that most of the 166 prisoners still at the controversial detention camp took part in a meal of lamb to break the first day of the traditional period of fasting from dawn to sunset. He also suggested that the period had been unusually peaceful and largely free of conflict between guards and prisoners.
“We are just pleased that they are for the most part eating and for the most part we are having good order and discipline in the camps,” Durand said. But he did not rule out the possibility that the number of those taking part in an action – which has drawn renewed worldwide attention to the plight of detainees at the camp – would rise on the conclusion of Ramadan. “I don’t pretend to understand the psychology of the detainees and they don’t always necessarily declare their motives,” he said.
Lawyers suggested that authorities could be undercounting the number of hunger-strikers still at the camp. “All I hear from my clients is that they are going to keep going and they are not going to stop,” said David Remes, who represents five prisoners being force-fed.
Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit are always a little late to the games. That is: They’re interested in the Olympics, but only years after they end. So when I asked if they’ll be going to Rio de Janeiro in 2016, they demurred, saying something along the lines of, “Maybe someday.”
“We’re not for or against the Olympics,” says Hustwit. “We wanted to see how all of this development has been integrated into the cities — or not. And to look at the idea of planning … for the legacy of these facilities.”
It’s a natural extension of Hustwit’s unofficial beat; he produced and directed the documentaries Helvetica and Urbanized — about how typography and urban planning inform our daily lives.
But it was Pack who first started exploring this idea in 2008. He was intrigued by the price tag of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
“After it was over I still couldn’t wrap my head around it, and so I tried to see if there was a project there,” he says.
What Happens To An Olympic City After The Olympics?(Photo Credit: Olympic City project/Courtesy of Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit)
Beautiful and innovative.